My Shopping List
Sausage Stuffing for Turkey
Courtesy of National Hot Dog and Sausage Council
Serve With:Servings: 8
Turkey & Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 45 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 8 c. dried bread cubes
+ 1 lb. ground sausage (regular or sage)
+ 1 to 2 c. diced celery
+ 1/2 to 1 c. diced onion
+ 1/2 c. butter
+ 1 Tbsp. mixed dried fresh herbs
+ 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
What to do:
1. Prepare bread cubes using sliced white bread (or your choice of bread). Cut cubes approximately 1/2" in size. Spread on clean surface until dry. Place in large (larger the better) mixing bowl.
2. Fry sausage, breaking up into small pieces, until lightly browned; drain. Set aside.
3. Chop celery stalks and leaves. Set aside.
4. Sauté onions in butter or premium margarine. Remove when onions become translucent. Add to the bread crumbs.
5. Combine all ingredients; lightly folding together. If stuffing a turkey, the stuffing should be quite dry and the same temperature as the turkey before stuffing.
If cooking separately, use an oven cooking bag. The dressing should be moist. Add chicken stock or small amount of water and lightly toss. Follow cooking directions for the bag.